04 January 2015

Watch This

So, I watch a lot of movies.  Not as many this year as last year, but that still adds up to more than most people.  "Not as many" means that I watched 288 movies last year.

That doesn't mean I go to the theater a lot.  Most of what I watch is not from the year I watch it.  Rather, it's from a list compiled from the New York Times Best 1000 Movies List, the titles in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, a list of interesting movies on Slant (which at this point I can't find on the site anymore--it's been about six years since I started this project), and an alternative doubled canon.

With that much eclectic viewing, it's pointless for me to compare the best movies I see with critics' top 10 lists from any given year.  What I can do is share what I saw last year that I think you should see too.  Of the movies I saw last year, I'd recommend about half of them.  The list below represents those I'd most strongly recommend (those I graded as A- or A).  Take a (brief) break from puzzle-solving, and see if you can find these.  They're listed alphabetically, and I think they're well worth the time.

1. Before Midnight (2013)
2. Camera Buff (1979)
3. Casque d'Or (1952)
4. La Deuxieme Souffle (1966)
5. The Gatekeepers (2012)
6. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
7. Her (2013)
8. The Immigrant (2014)
9. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
10. Kaos (1984)
11. Museum Hours (2013)
12. Le Plaisir (1952)

No comments:

Post a Comment